Thursday, 2 July 2015

Life lately


Reading: Us by David Nicholls. One Day is one of my favourite books so I was really excited when I heard this was supposed to be even better than One Day.  After reading it, I wouldn't agree that it's better but I did really enjoy reading it, it's funny and touching in equal measure and would make perfect summer holiday reading.

Watching: lots of TED talks. My favourite so far is Shawn Achor; The Happy Secret to Better Work - it's funny, inspiring and I love that his tips are easy to put into action in everyday life.

Listening: to some really great podcasts. My favourite at the moment is The Lively Show which  touches on everything from relationships to careers to personal habits. I've been listening to it on the way into work and it's totally changed my morning commute, I now feel like I'm making the most of time that before I felt was wasted and it leaves me feeling inspired which is a great way to start the day. I love Jess' philosophy on life, she totally feels like a kindred spirit.

Drinking: all the tea! I seem to have finally weaned myself off coffee and I feel so much better for it, it might sound a bit weird but it's nice not to feel so reliant on it.

Eating: strawberries, broad beans, raspberries, aubergine, blueberries, asparagus, crab, courgette- I've got so much love for summer food.

Feeling: Lucky to have such amazing work colleagues. I turned 30 yesterday and when I got to work they had decorated my desk with banners and balloons and tissue paper and glitter and there was the biggest bunch of flowers I've ever seen in my life along with a card filled with really sweet messages. I've had very mixed feelings about turning 30 but my awesome colleagues made my day very special. Their lovely comments about me only looking 20 didn't hurt either :)

Buying: this Hush dress. I've been on the search for the perfect little black summer dress for a while. When I saw the dress on Does my bum look 40 in this' blog  a couple of days ago I loved it straight away but it was sold out :( But then I checked again today and it had come back in stock -yay! And it's in the sale - double yay! I hardly every buy sales stuff (and only online, sales shopping in actual shops gives me fear) but there seems to be a lot of good stuff around in the sales at the moment.

Doing: this Ballet Beautiful workout. I'd been wanting to try a ballet inspired workout for a while (I'd love to have a dancer's posture, don't you think they just hold themselves and move so beautifully?) but my gym doesn't offer this type of class so I was really excited to discover this workout on YouTube. I've done other YouTube workouts that were really easy and didn't do much and I was worried this would be the same but I could not have been more wrong, even though I go to the gym most days this nearly finished me off. I think it's because it targets muscles I don't normally use and although I was left walking like John Wayne afterwards I did feel really good. My eyes nearly popped out my head when I saw how flexible the lady who does the video is though - I'd love to be as bendy as that.

What have you been up to lately? I'm always on the look out for books to read, podcasts to listen to workouts to do or videos to watch so I'd love to hear your recommendations!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!