Wednesday, 15 July 2015

Happy things


Hello lovely people, I hope you're having a great week! After quite a serious post on Tuesday I thought I'd balance it out by sharing what's been making me happy recently.

1. A new handbag. This is a very shallow way to start my list but my old handbag was looking increasingly worn and battered so this has made me very happy. And it was only £20 in the sale so I don't feel too bad either.

2. Photoshop. I've been meaning to do a Photoshop course for ages. I have access to do a free online course through work but just never got round to doing it. At the start of this week I set myself the goal of doing at least 5 minutes a day and it's worked, I've done at least half an hour each day and I now know how to do stuff like straighten photos and erase blemishes. It really is true that what you do every day matters more than what you do once in a while.

3. Pretty nails. I made the effort to paint my nails this week and it's such a simple thing but it makes me so happy. I bought a new nail polish by Essie called Ballerina Slippers, I may have bought it just for the name alone but actually it's a gorgeous colour and I'm impressed by how long it lasted.

4. Meditation. I dithered over subscribing to the Headspace app for ages. It's quite expensive but I'm so glad I did (and there always seems to be a discount code floating around if you're interested). I feel amazing for doing it every morning, it always seems to create this great positive, calm intention that sets me up for the rest of the day.

5. Someone I really admire (Jess Lively from The Lively Show) replied to my tweet and I totally geeked out over it.

6. My work friend getting engaged. This was a massive surprise because she's always said she wouldn't get married, so it was such lovely news. I'm so happy for her!

7. Decluttering. I'm gradually working my way through all my stuff and decluttering. I haven't read The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up but there are quite a few articles on the internet and something that's really helped me is the author's method of going through your items and asking yourself 'does this spark joy?'. It's amazing how much easier it is to get rid of stuff when you ask yourself this question.

8. Getting more involved in social media. I've always been a bit scared of sharing my blog on Instagram or Twitter. I keep putting it off and thinking I'll wait until my photos are better or my writing has improved but I decided that I'll probably never get to the point where I'm 100% happy with it so I might as well take a risk and start getting it out there a bit more now. The magic happens outside your comfort zone and all that.

9. Making more of an effort with the way I dress at work. I'm lucky that I work in an office where you can dress up a bit or go super casual but I had totally been taking the lazy option of throwing on jeans, flats and a big jumper most days. Lately I've been making more of an effort to switch things up and wear more blazers and heels and it definitely makes a difference to how you feel.

10. Acts of kindness. I was on my way into Tesco the other day and there was this young shop worker struggling to get a massive sign on a trolley. Two other guys stepped in straight away and started helping him. It's such a small thing but it really made me smile to see two people going out of their way to help someone else.

So there's what's been making me happy this week. I'd love to hear what's been making you happy this week :)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!