Thursday, 13 November 2014

Gail's Artisan Bakery, Soho


As part of my quest to find the world's best chocolate brownie (this could take quite some time couldn't it?) I visited Gail's Artisan Bakery on Wardour Street in Soho last weekend. There were two types of brownie on offer - Pecan and Chocolate Brownie Fingers. I'm not a massive fan of nuts in my brownie so I plumped for the Chocolate Brownie Finger. On first appearances I have to say it didn't look that promising, it appeared to be a bit on the small side and had been cooked in an individual mould so that it was almost loaf shaped rather than being cooked in a tray and sliced up (which I prefer because it allows you to check the level of gooeyness inside which is of great importance to a brownie). However the first bite proved how very, very wrong I was to judge first appearances. Oh these were good! Lovely and squidgy and rich in the middle. I swear I could taste a hint of sea salt which I wouldn't normally advocate but to be honest I think it was needed to offset the lovely richness and actually they turned out to be perfectly sized. The cafe was lovely and cosy inside so I reckon it would make a great place to catch up with friends over tea and cake. They also have sixteen other stores dotted around London. So a definite success in my search but I must bravely battle on. 

Are you a fan of brownies? Do you have any recommendations for me? 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!