Tuesday, 22 July 2014

A bus tour of Bucharest, a visit to Peles Castle and a wander around Brasov (and oh yeah a bit of work too of course!)




I think this picture does a good job of summing up how I'm feeling at the moment! I got back from my work trip to Romania on Sunday night and although it was great fun (I haven't laughed as much over as I did over those four days in a long time) it was fairly intense and I've been looking forward to next weekend since yesterday.

My colleague and I arrived at Henri Coanda Airport late Wednesday evening and didn't get to the hotel until the early hours of Thursday morning. We were up bright and early the next morning to go to the office for meetings and then (a very meaty!) dinner out at a Romanian restaurant complete with traditional dancing in the evening. 

We started our team day on Friday with an icebreaker exercise where each member of the team had to sit in the corner of the room and the others in the team had to talk about us (nice things only of course!) as if we weren't in the room. This was mostly incredibly awkward but also kind of nice to hear the things everyone said about you. Our manager gave us each a cute teddy and a letter thanking us for our work, she's so sweet :) We then had a team development session around how the brain works and how we relate to others which was so interesting. It led to some pretty deep conversations between the team over the course of the rest of the weekend and it was good in a way to have a reminder that everyone has their issues. That evening we took a bus tour of the city. I can see how Bucharest might not be everyone's cup of tea but I liked it. It isn't at all touristy which appealed to me as it felt untouched and there was something really nice about the stark contrast between the ugliness of the graffiti and concrete and the nicer buildings and green spaces. 

On Saturday we travelled two hours by train to Peles Castle which was so beautiful. After a tour of the  very grand interior of the Castle we travelled an hour by train to Brasov and had a wander around the pretty square and wide cobbled streets.

Before flying back on Sunday afternoon, our manager took us to Infinitea, a tea house with the most beautiful tea garden. We would never have found this lovely little spot if our lovely manager hadn't taken us there. After three busy days it was bliss to unwind with a chat over a cup of tea amongst the pot plants and under the shade of leafy trees. It got me dreaming of owning my very own tea house and garden. The closest I've been to finding somewhere like this in the UK is Boston Tea Party (you absolutely have to visit this place if you ever find yourself in Bristol) but if you have any recommendations I would love to hear them. 

Who knew Romania was so beautiful?


Peles Castle

Peles Castle

Infinitea, Bucharest

Infinitea 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!